Tomorrow Home

Samples of the Writing

The Books

The Characters

Things to Explore


Find the books


About this site


This website is dedicated to the memory of Jessica Lincoln Smith, a John Marsden fan.
Lost tragically at 26, but never to be forgotten.

One of the facts about modern (World War One and beyond) infantry combat is: if you leave people in combat for long enough they go mad. Eventually 98% of participants will become certifiably insane. The other 2% were certifiably insane already.

There are certain phases that participants go through.

    From "Becoming Battlewise",

    through the "Period of Maxiumum Efficency",

    and into "Combat Exhaustion" (broken into several sub-phases):

      "Period of Overconfidence / Hyper Reactive",

      then pure "Hyper Reactive"

      then "Emotional Exhaustion"

      then "Emotional Exhaustion / Vegetative".

From "Darkness, Be My Friend" through to the end of the series, the team is basically bouncing around between the various states of "Combat Exhaustion"

Got something to say ? You can contact me at: